Friday, May 15, 2015

2015 Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 5: My Wash Routine!

Today is Day 5 of the 5th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge.


Today's Topic is: What's your wash routine?

This week I've been washing in the morning after breakfast is over, that way the diapers can have all day to dry if they need it (like if the weather is bad or something.) So far I have been washing everyday. This keeps my load to a minimum, which is nice for the washer bucket, and helps me save time overall. There's been years I didn't wash everyday and it always just made more work and took more time in the long run. My wash routine is pretty simple and usually takes less than an hour. First I'll show you what I use. I use the Camp Style Washer Bucket. Not to brag or anything but I made it myself. (struts) You can see how to make it here. I didn't follow the tutorial exactly but it works just fine.


You need a 5 gallon bucket with lid, a plunger, and a drill with a 1 inch drill bit (or one big enough to make a hole the handle of your plunger can go through.) and a smaller drill bit to use on the rubber part of the plunger. Drill a hole in the top in the middle of the lid big enough for the handle of the plunder to go through. Then, drill smaller holes around the base of the plunder (you can do top and sides or just top or just sides.) This will help to decrease the resistance while washing and save your arms a lot of work. NOTE: I HIGHLY suggest getting a screw on lid for your bucket. The snap on one is such a pain and if you're like me and have weak wrists and hands it's even worse. Splurge the extra dollar or whatever and get the freaking screw on. I wish I did. Now I'm stuck with a snap on because I'm not gonna waste the lid I got.

Next, put your diapers in the bucket. I always wash with the bucket in the bathtub. A days worth is about the perfect size load. If you have more than a days I probably wouldn't do more than 8-10 large size diapers in a load maybe 12 if you're desperate. My son is old enough that he doesn't go through that many diapers anymore. The biggest load so far was today and that was 8 diapers.
 Turn on the water and fill it to the top. Put in the plunger (can go in anytime) put the lid on and start plunging and agitating. When you're ready to drain the water take off the lid and dump the water out. I use the plunger to hold the diapers back and in the bucket while I'm draining. I used to leave the lid on a cracked open and drain out the crack but that just took way too long for me. This year I've been taking the lid off to drain and I like that much better.

As far as how I wash. I usually do 2 cold rinses. Then, I do like a little half rinse with hot water to get all the cold water out of the diapers, this helps keep them from cooling off the water I put in for the hot wash. I was in all the way hot, no cold at all, and put in about a tablespoon or less of my soap. The amount of soap will vary depending on your load size and how hard your water is. We have very hard water so I have to use more soap. Right now I'm using this soap. I won it in an online giveaway. I usually use Country Save or Biokleen.
One scoop of this is equal to one tablespoon.
I usually put in the soap and then fill the bucket to the very top with hot hot water. NOTE: If all you have to wash with is cold water that is ok. It will still wash your diapers just fine. I have done this when I had no access to hot water and this worked well with cold water. The diapers still get clean. Then I plunge and agitate for a few minutes. Mostly I do it until it feels right. Then I drain. I usually do 2-3 rinses. You want to rinse until you think the soap is all the way out. If you use too much soap it will take more rinses. For the very last rinse I do a cool or warm rinse. That way I don't scald my hands with hot water when I'm trying to wring out the diapers. If you are using gloves you probably don't need to worry about a cooler last rinse. Your hands would probably be fine in the gloves wringing out hot water.

I don't do anything fancy to wring out the diapers. I just use my hands and twist. Some people have success using a salad dryer thingy. I don't have one, so I don't use one. I've seen some other things but mostly I just never take the time to make them. You can also wring out a little water and then lay it flat in a towel and roll the towel up. There are plenty of options that are DIY that you can look up online.

Then after the washing and wringing, it's time to hang them up!
My trusty clothes pins and my clothes pins holder my mom made for me when I first moved into this house 5 years ago.
I am fortunate enough to have beautiful clothes line in my back yard. Well, beautiful as in handy, it holds a lot of clothes, and it was already here when we moved in (even better).
I usually just put the diapers in the bucket after I wring them out and take them outside to the line. I shake out each one and then hang it in half over the line like shown about. I'd hang it on the edge and skip hanging it in half but I have 2 littles that like to pull on the laundry or hit it. This keeps it out of the way the best. Some people overlap their clothes/diapers when hanging them so they can use less clothes pins. I hate doing that though, it takes longer to dry and it just bugs me having them overlapped. Clothes pins are super cheap so it's easy to buy enough that you don't need to do that. Especially if you're having a smaller load of stuff.

And that concludes my wash routine. It takes me less than an hour.

I've also washed in the tub before basically the same thing only a bigger space. If you have larger load or more than 1 days worth of diapers it's worth doing it in the tub than trying to do multiple loads in the diaper bucket. Honestly if I had one of those old school washboards and washtub I'd probably just use that but I don't have those and the bucket was cheaper than trying to get my hands on those. Some people wear gloves. I don't have any so I don't wear any. Your hands get used to it after the first day or so. I think I had more to say but it's lunch time and my brain has left the building. I hope some of this was helpful and that it made sense. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment